Every now and then we need this reminder. The reminder to put our own mask on before helping others.
It's repeated often because it's important. In one way or another, we need to look out for #1.
Sometimes all we need is to take a 5 minute break from everything. Other times it's more serious. If everyone who was able, took care of themselves, we would feel a little less obligated to worry for them. Which would then take away from us worrying for ourselves. Kind of a crazy cycle.
There are certain people out there that can't take care of themselves, like babies, they need us to worry for them. However, it doesn't mean we need to stop worrying about ourselves. We need to figure out a way to balance taking care of others and taking care of ourselves.
Here are some examples of how you can take care of yourself:
- Meditate - take a minute to yourself and focus on your breathing. Or try something guided. You could also check out: www.calm.com
- Take a bath - if you're into the whole lavender thing then go for it. If you're like me then push play on your audio book and sink into the suds.
- Go for a run - not only is it great exercise, but it's amazing for your brain! It also gives you space a time to think.
- Do Yoga - flowing through some asanas feels great whether you're doing your own thing, following a video, or hitting the mats in class.
- Sit outside - don't take anyone with you, just go out to a park, pool, beach, town square, etc... and have a seat, take a walk, soak up the sun. Sun gives you a lot of what you need to beat off the blues.
- Call someone - sometimes you just need to chat it out with a friend or family member.
I could definitely keep going! What ways do YOU take care of yourself? Leave a comment! Sharing is caring ;)